In the past year the Community Service Committee has:
- Worked toward solving the community’s hidden hunger by:
- Purchasing, packaging and delivering over 300 boxes of food for a week for families in need during the Christmas holidays through our partnership with the Golden Rotary Foundation and the Food Bank of the Rockies. The food was delivered to low-income seniors at Canyon Gate and Christian Action Guild for re-distribution to families in the Golden area.
- Providing supplemental weekend food to hungry kids in Bell Middle School through the Backpack Program, which is being extended throughout the greater Golden area schools.
- Soliciting, collecting, and donating funds to the Golden Rotary Foundation in support of the Golden Backpack Program.
- Collecting weekly donations through a Club game in support of feeding programs at Christian Action Guild.
- Created a deeper community connection by:
- Supporting Canyon Gate low-income senior residents with monthly Lunch n’ Leftovers by local chefs, with holiday gifts, books and videos, and help connecting with local food banks.
- Developing and outfitting a computer center for low-income seniors at Canyon Gate Apartments.
- Collecting funds for toys for needy kids at Christmas.
- Providing funds for school supplies through Jeffco Action Center and the Christian Action Guild.
- Coordinating a monthly street clean up of South Golden Road for the City’s Adopt-A-Street program.
- Participating in the local Buffalo Bill Days Parade.
- Funding youth leadership programs in Jefferson County.
- Donating funds in support of the Golden Visitor Center.
- Organizing and soliciting books in the greater Golden community in support of Rotary District 5450 book drive that resulted in 94 boxes of books that were delivered to needy organizations in the greater Denver metro area and to Rotary projects around the world.
distributed to all members by e-mail twice monthly
- Award winning
- Monthly Rotary
Page in local newspaper, The Golden Transcript
provided for visitors and club members for use in
recruiting new members
- Theatre nights
- Annual picnic
with Evergreen Rotary Club
- Holiday Party
- Pig Roast
- Ski Train
- Buffalo Bill
Days community parade participation
- Fund raising
- Peach Sale –
over 2,400 thirty pound cases sold in 2007 sale.
Since its inception, Golden Rotary’s peach
sales have grossed over $1,000,000.
Golden Rotary has assisted over 19 other
local Rotary clubs in setting up similar sales for
- Annual Golf
Tournament held in each of the past six years
- Rotary Youth Exchange Student Program:
Schmidt from Scheessel Germany for the 2008-2009
- Malingua Pamba –
Water Project originated by Eden Recor of the
Winter Park/Fraser Valley RC
- RC Golden has committed
Malawi Literacy Project – Blantyre, Malawi
RC Golden has committed $1,100.00 to partner
with Tom Niver and the Denver Club 31 to
arrange for container shipment of 40,000# of
school book to help reduce the rural
illiteracy rate in Malawi.
- Wat Choeng Khao School -
Working with the RC Taksin Pattaya (potential
third project) to provide school computer for
children living in this war torn part of
Thailand near the Malaysia boarder.
- Belize Education Project
– San Ignacio, Belize
Working with RC of San Ignacio to provide
school “Toilet Block Project” to (2)
Seventh Day Adventist school in the San
- Pisco Special School
Project – Pisco, Perú We
are working with the RC of Pisco as a
continuation of (2) previous MG that provide
testing and hearing aids, school supplies and
therapy room needs for these children
Continuing work to supply hearing aid
batteries etc to special needs children in
- Uganda Water Project –
Joint partnership with the RC of Evergreen and
the Colorado School of Mines Humanitarian
Engineering Dept. to design and construct a
Rain Catchment and Storage System at St Denis
Senior Secondary School. Maria Rosa Camp will
visit RC Golden on 18-Nov-08 to provide more
Group Study Exchange Program
RC Golden will
host the Inbound 2009 GSE Team from New Zealand
Vocational Service Committee:
- Student Achievement Recognition Awards
- Valedictorian watch award
- Scholar Athlete awards – six
- Excellence in Arts awards – 4 annually, one each for vocal, visual, instrumental and theatrical
- College scholarship program – $1,000 awards
are given to four Golden High School
students and one Warren Tech student.
- District Vocational Service award for Rotary year 2006-2007
- RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards)
- RYLA Camp – 4 GoldenHigh School students sponsored in
- Young RYLA Camp – 4 Bell Middle School students sponsored in
- Sponsored Golden High School Interact Club.
Community services undertaken by the over 30 members of the Golden High School Interact Club with Rotary Club guidance have included:
- Valentine’s Day
- Donations to Table Mountain Animal Shelter and Christian Action Guild
- Service at Denver Rescue Mission
- Coat, food and book drives
- Currently collecting funds to make a significant donation to Rotary International’s Water Project
- Young Ameritowne
- sponsored Fairmont and Shelton Elementary school students
- Swede Johnson Scholarship Fund at Red Rocks Community College
- more than
50% of club members attended a special fund raiser to support this scholarship
- Off-site Vocational meetings:
- Off-site Rotary breakfast meetings and tours at Young Ameritowne, Colorado School of Mines, and National Renewable Energy Laboratory
- Dinner meeting and tour of Coors Brewery
- Classification talks. Twice monthly talks at club introduces new members and highlights the professional experience of more senior members of the club
- Denver Ethics in Business Luncheon well attended by Golden Rotary membership
- Sponsor and organizer of Annual Ethics in Business Luncheon held in Golden. First event in 2006 and second in 2007 each drew over 300 business and professional participants.
- A Golden High School Student of the Month is selected each month during the school year. The student and parents are invited to a Rotary meeting to receive recognition of the student’s
- 4 Way Test Program at
Bell Middle School is conducted annually
- Weekly Mentoring Program at Bell Middle School for disadvantaged students
- Mentoring Program students transported, taken to dinner and a Jefferson Symphony performance
for Canyon Gate low-income seniors
blankets to earthquake victims
money for Christian Action Guild
peach sale fund-raiser
funds to Golden's public art program
pig roast fund-raiser for Golden Rotary
care for low-income special needs students
the Young Ameritowne program
the amphitheater on Clear Creek
student from Brazil
student from the Czech Republic
Food Shares for Golden-area families
golf tournament fund-raiser